The good news is that I lost weight. The bad news is that my lovely vintage corduroy jeans are way too big on me. They’re made out of strong and stretchy corduroy, the kind you can’t find in stores any more:
They’re a good brand, too:
What to do? Make them into corduroy pants for an active 5-year-old grandson. First up, smooth out one pants leg:
Then pin and cut out a boys’ pants pattern piece:
Do the same for the other pant leg and the other leg pattern piece. Then cut out the pocket:
Attach to the pocket piece something that makes the pants into “Superhero pants!” at the request of said grandson:
Follow pattern directions, and you have a “new” pair of Superhero pants. Front:
Then, so little sister gets something, too, make a pair of flannel Peppa Pig pants in a smaller size:
Those, of course, were not repurposed and required a trip to the fabric store for Peppa Pig flannel 🙂 Grandma doesn’t want anyone to feel left out!
I have an enormous file of patterns, torn out of magazines or photocopied out of library books, that I’ve been accumulating for many years . One of them is for a tote bag that I’ve always wanted to make.
I chose to make it for someone’s birthday, but thought I should make a test tote bag first, in case the pattern was wonky. I followed the directions, but the fat quarters I used were on the skimpy side, so when the tote bag came out long and skinny instead of almost square (as the photo of the tote bag on the pattern looked), I figured it was because the fat quarters were a little smaller than normal:
No worries, I can always use another tote bag, even if it’s so long it looks like you could store wine bottles in it (hmmm, there’s an idea….). Anyways, I chose some fat quarters for the birthday-gift tote bag, and was pleased to discover that they were the exact size they should be (18″ X 22″). I followed the pattern to the letter (it only had one illustration, so I had to read and re-read it), and here’s how it turned out:
Better, but still not square or even almost square. So I went over the pattern instructions very carefully, and came to the conclusion that there’s an error in it; there’s no way you’re going to get anything but a long rectangular tote bag out of that pattern. Lesson learned: never assume that a pattern’s directions will be right, even though most of them are. Fortunately, the recipient seemed pleased, and that’s all that counts!
I took a break from quilting this summer in favor of a few sewing projects. I made matching dresses for my little granddaughters that they wore when we all got together in July:
I turned some old tops of mine that were made out of very good fabric into leggings (the dark pink ones are capris) for my youngest granddaughter, using the principle of repurposing that I learned from my gram so many years ago:
Then I made Baby Girl one more pair of leggings out of some fabric I bought at a fabric sale:
It’s so much fun to make little duds! I also made some other projects that I will share in future posts. Before long, I also hope to start another quilt 🙂
It’s so much fun to make clothes for little girls; this romper is for my newest granddaughter, who is getting ready to walk soon, I think 🙂
My grandson is skinny, and his mom had a hard time finding pants that were long enough without being too loose in the waist. So I made him a pair and sent them to him. Word is they fit perfectly. Joy in this grandma’s heart 🙂 Here’s the front and back: